When it comes to job roles starting from developer, support engineers,DBA’s,QA roles,BA roles,technical manager roles and many more current companies look for candidates who have good knowledge of linux
So, what is importance of learning UNIX/LINUX ?
1) You learn what an operating system is and how it interacts with various applications
2) Will get to know more on OS architecture including its different layers including shell, kernel and way they interact with applications
3) learn OS kernel programming, shell scripting
4) Irrespective of holding developer, DBA, tester, application support role it has become common among employers to ask for proficiency in perl, python, ruby on rails, php , shell script (any one or more than one of these) as a mandate skill set for automating their system. Hence shell script training will help you hold on and progress in your career
5) Learn basic unix/linux commands used for file system management
6) If you prefer to break into field of unix system administration it is an ocean
Now, why is linux shell scripting very popular?
If you randomly browse the bigdata engineer job profile, programming language python has become an essential skill set. Not to say so Linux shell scripting offers automation of tasks at OS level using linux based shell commands
This helps us automate the task of system administrator, DBA’s in the form of simple shell scripts
Every DBA team will have a person dedicated to wok on automation. He will have shell script knowledge and experience as mandate
Data pruning systems heavily rely on pattern matching option available in shell script
Perl has libraries to automate many data related tasks. Oracle database utilities are built mostly on perl script. Shell script is pioneer to all scripting languages like perl, python,Groovy. Jython,ruby on rails etc
Shell scripting is easy
We don’t need separate installation. In an existing Linux environment, we can create a shell script by simply putting command-line commands in a simple file, making it executable, executing it or automating it via cron